A Saxon charter signifies that village was originally an ancient settlement. In 1608 a document "Men & Armour" recorded that the majority of the men in the village were weavers and others being husbandmen (farmers) or tailors. Ecclesiastically the village was part of the Thornbury Parish and was served by a Chapel of Ease, which was recorded as being dilapidated during the 18th century. In 1860 the present St George's Church was built a short distance from where the Chapel of Ease stood.
Anciently a settlement called "Mars" was associated with Falfield. However it has not been determined where this settlement existed, despite research.
A large part of the village is Eastwood Park, anciently a deer park belonging to Thornbury Castle in the 16th century. Later names associated with owners of Eastwood were Tyndale, Ashfield, Rogers, Jenkinson and Watts. More recently it came into the ownership of the Ministry of Defence followed by the Dept of Health and is now run as a Conference and Training Centre.
Other older constructions in the village are: Green Farm whose origins are medieval, Heneage Farm - 16th century, Sundayshill Farm probably 17th century, Oakhall Farm, Moorslade Farm where a more modern building has now replaced the older farmhouse mentioned in 16th century documents. Whitfield House and Pool Farm in Whitfield are also worthy of mention. Brinkmarsh Farm, now (quite recently) demolished was a fine Elizabethan building with ball finials. In what is known as Mill Lane is a Mill which has been on the present site for four or five hundred years, probably longer.
Registers containing marriages baptisms and burials at Falfield Parish Church are in existence from 1860. Prior to this date they are included under Thornbury Parish records.
The village appears to lack a manor house, possibly Heneage Court could have been such, but little of its history is known. Canon balls found in the roof suggest its existence in the 16th century. Names connected with Heneage Court are: Skey, Hale, Montague Williams and Russell Thomas. Edward Warren laid out the gardens, pleasure grounds and woodland for Russell Thomas in 1913.
he village now has one inn, a post office stores, and a church. In the 19th and 20th centuries there were other inns and small shops as well as a village school and congregational chapel at Mount Pleasant. The old school is now the village hall. A second village hall known as "the hut" is still standing but has not been used for some 40 years.
This information was kindly supplied by Mrs Ann Riddiford of Thornbury