HISTORY
St George's Church St George's Memorials Village War Memorial 1914-1918 Roll of Honour 1939-1945 Roll of Honour Falfield Cricket Club Falfield Football Club Eastwood House & Park The Bombed Village Bovis 1986 Picture Gallery
Home 1914-18 Centenary Information Parish Council Village History St George's Church Organisations News & Events

FALFIELD - Pale brown or fallow open land'. Old English fecal + field.
Taken from A Dictionary of Place-Names Oxford University Press, © A.D. Mills 1998.

FALFIELD VILLAGE WEBSITE

Home

Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Site Map

Site created by James Carpenter. Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content. For questions and comments about the website please email: webmaster@falfield.org.uk. No material from this site may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owners.

Falfield
+C
Click for 7 day weather forecast

Our sponsor: The Gables Hotel, Bristol Road, Falfield
Please click on the links below for more information
SPECIAL EVENTS ¦ DINING ¦ ACCOMMODATION ¦ CHRISTMAS

Contact us
St George’s Church History

When it was part of the parish of Thornbury, which is about three and half miles away, Falfield was served by a Chapel-of-Ease, of which no records remain. It was used for Funeral Services but parishioners had to go to the mother church of St. Mary at Thornbury for Baptisms and Holy Communion. This Chapel-of-Ease according to Sir Stephen Glynne, a well-known antiquary and ecclesiologist, who visited it in 1849, was a small building, with perpendicular features, consisting of nave and chancel. He stated that it had one unusual feature, namely, that it had no altar.
When Sir George Jenkinson came to live at Eastwood Park, around the middle of the 19th century, the chapel was in a dilapidated condition, and, mainly at his expense, and on land given by him opposite to the entrance to his park, a new church seating 180, was built in 1860.
he corner stone in the porch was laid by Sir George Jenkinson on 23rd April 1859 and the church was dedicated to St George and was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Charles Burney, D.D., Lord Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, on 31st July 1860. The day of the consecration was apparently bright and sunny, and, flitting from rafter to rafter was a small bird, which curiously appropriate to one of the verses of Psalm 84, read in the service of consecration. "The sparrow has found her a house, and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young."


With a view to its becoming a separate parish, a Vicarage was provided by the conversion of a blacksmith’s house and forge close by. Some of the materials of the old chapel were incorporated in it, including oak beams and mullioned windows.

The Rev. T. E. Forest was appointed to take charge of the new church, and on 12th September 1863, Falfield became a separate and independent parish, the Rev. John Pilditch becoming the first incumbent. The Vestry at the west end of the church was added in 1953, and was consecrated by Dr. C. S. Woodward, Bishop of Gloucester, on 14th September of that year. In 1960, the centenary of the church was celebrated addresses being given by the Bishop of Gloucester and many other clergy of the diocese.

n the interior of the church, an octagonal font of Bath stone standing at the west end of the building, was the gift of Anthony L.Lyster, Esq., of Stillorgan Park, Dublin, the father of Lady Jenkinson. On the walls are memorial tablets erected to the memory of members of the Jenkinson family of Eastwood Park. The open-work wooden chancel screen was added in 1912. A War Memorial commemorates those of the parish who gave their lives in the First and Second World Wars. Woodward, Bishop of Gloucester, on 14th September of that year. In 1960, the centenary of the church was celebrated addresses being given by the Bishop of Gloucester and many other clergy of the diocese.

The organ is a two-manual instrument by Vowles Organ Builders of Bristol. The Church has one bell, which appears to have no inscription.

Although is was originally built to seat 180 people, and as recently as the 1970’s there was a substantial congregation (including a choir).

The Revd. Maurice Fitzgerald Townsend Stephens (Vicar of the Mother Church of Thornbury)http://stmarys.thornburyroots.co.uk/earlier%20vicars.htm

1860 - 1863

The Revd. John Pilditch (1st Vicar of Falfield)

1863 - 1865

The Revd. Charles Tooth

1865 - 1870

The Revd. Ernest Vilars-Hoare

1871 - 1876

The Revd. Edmund Juxton Wemyss Whittaker

1876 - 1881

The Revd. James Targett

1881 - 1892

The Revd. Charles Richard Ward M.A., Mus BAC

1892 - 1902

The Revd. Hugh Cecil Robert Francis Jenner

1902 - 1909

The Revd. Charles Grant King

1910 - 1919

The Revd. Arthur Dudley Lough

1919 - 1931

The Revd. C. M. Perkins

1931

The Revd. Alfred Banner

1932 - 1944

The Revd. Dennis Daven-Thomas

1944 - 1946

The Revd. William Stanley Prosser

1947 - 1957

The Revd. John Howard Roderick

1958 - 1960

The Revd. George Herbert Murray Worthing

1960 -1966

The Revd. Brian Barnes-Ceeney

1966 -1971

The Revd. Robert C. Payne

1971 -1976

The Revd. Geoffrey Goswell

1976 -1979

The Revd. Raymond A. Waterson

1979 - 1991

The Revd. Raymond W. Martin

1991 - 1998

The Revd. Audrey Hayman

1998 -2002

The Revd. Pat Lyes-Wilsdon

2002 -2009

The Revd. Jenny d'Esterre

2009 - 2015

Record of St George’s Incumbents

Click here for list of incumbents since 1860

Page last updated: Sunday, November 22, 2015