HISTORY
St George's Church St George's Memorials Village War Memorial 1914-1918 Roll of Honour 1939-1945 Roll of Honour Falfield Cricket Club Falfield Football Club Eastwood House & Park The Bombed Village Bovis 1986 Picture Gallery
REMEMBERING THOSE ON THE VILLAGE WAR MEMORIAL WHO LOST THEIR LIVES DURING WORLD WAR ONE
Charles William Cole John Canning Dove James Fisher Herbert George Holpin John Banks Jenkinson Sidney Joseph Lewis John Kingscott Millard Arthur Edward Mower Victor George Nichols William Ewart Organ Herbert Selman John Strange Leslie Watkins
Home 1914-18 Centenary Information Parish Council Village History St George's Church Organisations News & Events

FALFIELD - Pale brown or fallow open land'. Old English fecal + field.
Taken from A Dictionary of Place-Names Oxford University Press, © A.D. Mills 1998.

FALFIELD VILLAGE WEBSITE

Home

Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Site Map

Site created by James Carpenter. Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content. For questions and comments about the website please email: webmaster@falfield.org.uk. No material from this site may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owners.

Falfield
+C
Click for 7 day weather forecast

Our sponsor: The Gables Hotel, Bristol Road, Falfield
Please click on the links below for more information
SPECIAL EVENTS ¦ DINING ¦ ACCOMMODATION ¦ CHRISTMAS

Contact us

Name:


Date Born:

Circa 1899

Birth Place:

Oldbury Naite

Date of Death:

27th May 1918

Fate:

Killed in Action

Rank

Private

Regiment:

8th Battalion Machine Gun Corp.

Service No:

136903

Duty Location:

France and Flanders

Buried:

Final resting place unknown.


Name listed on the Soissons Memorial. The Soissons Memorial commemorates almost 4,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom forces who died during the Battles of the Aisne and the Marne in 1918 and who have no known grave. The original British Expeditionary Force crossed the River Aisne in August 1914 a few kilometres west of Soissons, and re-crossed it in September a few kilometres east. For the next three and a half years, this part of the front was held by French forces and the city remained within the range of German artillery. At the end of April 1918, five divisions of Commonwealth forces (IX Corps) were posted to the French 6th Army in this sector to rest and refit following the German offensives on the Somme and Lys. Here, at the end of May, they found themselves facing the overwhelming German attack which, despite fierce opposition, pushed the Allies back across the Aisne to the Marne. Having suffered 15,000 fatal casualties, IX Corps was withdrawn from this front in early July, but was replaced by XXII Corps, who took part in the Allied counter attack that had driven back the Germans by early August and recovered the lost ground. The memorial was designed by G H Holt and V O Rees, with sculpture by Eric Kennington.



Medals:












1914/15 Star

James Fisher was was awarded the 1914/15 star campaign medal of the British Empire for his service in World War One.

This Star is identical to the 1914 Star in every respect except that the centre scroll bears the dates “1914- 15” and the two small scrolls bearing “Aug” and “Nov” are omitted.


British War Medal and Victory Medal

James Fisher would have received the British War Medal and Victory Medal, as it was not awarded singularly.

Eligibility for the Victory Medal consisted of having been mobilised, fighting, having served in any of the theatres of operations, or at sea, between midnight 4th/5th August, 1914, and midnight, 11th/12th November, 1918. Women who served in any of the various military organisations in a theatre of operations were also eligible.

The Victory Medal (British Empire campaign medal) was issued for services between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

This medal was automatically awarded in the event of death on active service before the completion of this period.

Parents:

Mark Fisher, of Glenroy Cottage, Fairford, Glos.

Military Information:

The Machine Gun Corps (MGC) was a corps of the British Army, formed in

October 1915 in response to the need for more effective use of machine guns on the Western Front in World War I. The Heavy Branch of the MGC was the first to use tanks in combat, and the branch was subsequently turned into the Tank Corps, later called the Royal Tank Regiment. The MGC was disbanded in 1922




Other Information

James is also remembered on the Stone War Memorial FISHER James Pte 136903 8th Machine Gun Corps died 27 May 1918 age 19. Son of Mark, Glenroy Cottage Fairford Glos. Commemorated at Soissons Memorial France. He is also mentioned on the Berkeley War Memorial


James’ father was Mark Fisher and his mother was Annie Fisher. Mark Fisher is buried in St George’s Churchyard along with Mark’s second wife Elizabeth in Row D13.


The Scribes Alcove web site has a record of James being baptised in Thornbury on 4th June 1899. In the 1911 census James was living with his parents Mark and his second wife Elizabeth in the parish of Stone the adjoining village to Falfield.


Credits: St George’s  Burial Records, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Ancestry website, forces-war-records.co.uk, Scribes Alcove

If anyone believes that any of the information above is incorrect or has information to add to James Fisher then please email webmaster@falfield.org.uk

JAMES FISHER SOISSONS MEMORIAL Soissons Memorial.jpg Marriages T to W

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Loading...

1914-15 Star

PLEASE NOTE: Information on the Forces War Records website (www.forces-war-records.co.uk) records that the residing address for James Fisher was Fairford and that his parent was Mark Fisher of Glenroy Cottage, Fairford, Glos. It is this correct or could it be that it was Glenroy Cottage, Falfield, Glos.

Page last updated: Saturday, January 24, 2015